I’m an online content specialist with considerable experience of working on multi-lingual projects. I lead and work in teams to deliver content strategy and content management, including marketing copy, user interface content and product documentation.
Also known as Kenneth Ken Yau, keeper of thechain.co.uk
Principal and owner - Baddit Ltd
from June 2009 to present day
Content and communications consultant
I help my clients communicate clearly and effectively. I advise on all stages of content development, from strategy to execution.
I work with web development, content management and user experience teams, and work with the likes of eBay, Gumtree, and Alfresco.
Here's a selection of the kind of work I've done and could do for you:
- Developed tone of voice guidelines and a style guide to support a brand refresh.
- Delivered tone of voice training.
- Social media live coverage of events.
- Worked with a client's design agency to align content, creative and visual guidelines.
- Created a localisation strategy and managed its implementation.
- Editing, sub-editing and writing marketing and other communications such as press releases, blog posts, customer support emails and customer support telephone scripts.
- Recruited of copywriter and web developer.
- Presented on localisation at the Society for Technical Communication (STC) Content Strategy forum in April 2010.
- Worked on user interface designs and user assistance systems.
- Site migration between content management systems.
- Multi-lingual site management.
from October 2005 to December 2010
Corporate portraits, event photography, wedding photography, commissions.
Senior Content Manager, eBay
from February 2007 to May 2009
Senior Content Manager, eBay
- Established content team as strategic consultants for important communications to eBay members, when previously seen as purely execution team.
- Delivered tone of voice guidelines, integrated into overall brand guidelines. This became the source document for international markets.
- Ensured consistent application of the eBay tone of voice across Europe
- Promoted content and interaction patterns in UI designs.
- Wrote copy for use as source for translation for use across Europe.
- Contributed to and managed product designs and rollouts.
- Managed move of content team into user experience team.
- Improved working relationship with marketing and brand teams.
- Managed the internal client relationship with the seller communications team.
Freelance writer and editorial consultant
Contributor to a website about ethical consumerism published by Shiny Media, sourcing stories and publishing them using Movable Type.
Blogger outreach, press releases, site content, user interface copy, community management.
Editorial team member of a popular blog about London.
I was responsible for managing a team of contributors providing music news and reviews, as well as sourcing and producing content from PRs and other sources.
I also contributed on a number of other subjects, including food, events and current affairs.
Programme Office Consultant
from January 2006 to October 2006
Mourant Equity Compensation Solutions
Helped to set up a programme office, establishing programme and project management standards.
Author, The London Collection
published by Think Publishing 2006
The London Collection
One of a small team of writers commissioned by Think Books to write "a fascinating miscellany of highly amusing satirical anecdotes, historical snippets, etymologies, quotes and indispensable uncommon knowledge for all those who wish to discover the lesser-known tales of the city" (as described by Amazon.co.uk).
The London Paper called it "A joy".
Project Manager, Nestlé UK Ltd
from June 2001 to August 2005
Project Manager and Training Manager
Managed the training team for financial systems department before moving on to work in the programme office in the UK implementation of a global SAP system. Towards the end of the implementation I took on 'train the trainer' duties, delivering courses to give local site trainers the soft skills to help them impart technical knowledge effectively.
Consultant, Ernst & Young
from January 1998 to June 2001
Systems risk and project management consultant. Internal knowledge-base manager. Contracts and supplier management on large government project.
Consultant, Price Waterhouse
from August 1995 to January 1998
Consultant specialising in implementation of financial systems.
Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA)
Fully qualified since 2001
London School of Economics and Political Science
October 1992 to July 1995
BSc. (Econ), Government, 2.1
St. Olave's Grammar School for Boys, Orpington
Economics - distinction
- Economics - A
- French - B
- History - B
GCSEs - 7 As, 2 Bs, 1 C
Long may you continue to be the sinister genius behind thechain.co.ukStuart Maconie | Broadcaster and writer
I interim managed the brand and marketing function at Gumtree.com and took it through fast changes to the brand, tone of voice, look and feel. Ken lifted the tone of voice and content element from my shoulders and, almost without me noticing, added great value to the business transformation.
Ken has a deceptively light touch and very deep impact.Tara Benson | client at Gumtree
Having worked together as colleagues at ebay and brought Ken in as a consultant to Gumtree I can vouch for the quality and consistency of his work together with his calm, intuitive and pragmatic manner.
As a people and project manager I trust him absolutely and find him inspiring to work with. His expertise on content strategy and tone of voice and perspective on wider business challenges make a valuable addition to any team. If he ever has time free I'd definitely hire him againClaire Whitehead | client at Gumtree